Thursday, August 23, 2012

Day 21 and 22 ~ 30 Days of Nothing Challenge


Day 21 and 22

For Breakfast, I finally made something to last for the week.  I'm going to call them Hockey Egg Cups, because, well, they kind of look like hockey pucks.  Usually, I make these little eggs in a muffin tin with a Pillsbury Grand biscuit as the first layer, then I add the eggs.  Since I don't have any in the fridge right now, I decided to try my luck without the biscuit.   They taste good, but look a little silly. I'll share my recipe with you anyway, though.





Ingredients (makes 6 servings):
6 eggs
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup frozen spinach
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
about 1/4 cup bacon bits (I used the meatless kind)
One can of Pillsburry Grand Rolls (which I didn't use this time, but normally do)

Directions:
Whisk together the eggs, sour cream, spinach, salt and pepper in a bowl.
Mist a muffin tin with cooking spray, set a raw biscuit in each cup.
Pour mixture into tin.
Add bacon bits to the center of each cup.
Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes.

For Lunch, we dined on leftover sloppy joes, potato salad, and green salad.
My friend Matt once told me about Puttanesca, which translates to whore's pasta.  In old school Italy, the prostitutes made it using whatever ingredients they had to entice men into stopping for a visit.  Some people add anchovies, spicy peppers or sausage.  I use whatever ingredients I can find.  Tonight, I made Puttanesca for Dinner and served it with homemade bread from my mother-in-law.  My pasta has included artichoke hearts, green olives, and tiny salad shrimps before.  Here's how I made it tonight:


Ingredients( makes 8 servings)
1 13.25oz. box of whole grain spaghetti noodles
1 15.50z. can diced tomatoes
1 small can of black olives
2 tsp. capers
1/4 tsp garlic (tonight I used powdered garlic, but I usually go with fresh)
1/4 cup diced green onions
1 1/2 tbs. Olive oil
1/2 tbs. Balsamic vinegar.

Directions:
Boil the noodles as directed and drain.
Stir in olive oil, balsamic vinegar, tomatoes, olives, capers, garlic, green onions.
Serve with bread.

Snack
After dinner, Liz, Elly and I headed to Grand Haven for one summer last trip to the beach.  On our beautiful sunset stroll, we stopped by Santo Stefano, a little shop packed full of delicious Italian candies, cookies, and vinegars.   Elly treated us to a mouth watering scoop of gelato in a pretty, bright plastic bowl.  It was so good :)  While enjoying our treat, we walked to the lighthouse just as the sun was dropping into the ocean.  The pier lights came on after dark and it was breath taking-ly beautiful.

Before heading back to the car, we climbed down to the sand and walked the almost empty shoreline.  The night was peaceful and the water glowed with soft light from campfires up the beach and the big moon.  We decided to go for a quick nighttime swim before the beach patrol drove by to kick us out.  The water was dark, but not at all scary. We bobbed in the warm water talking and laughing until our our fingers were prune-y.  It was a perfect ending to our final beach journey.


Day 22

Breakfast was a serving of Hockey Egg Cups and yummy juice.  Little did Grandma Maxine know that her birthday gift of farmer's market fruits and veggies would make Patrick so happy!  This morning, he made each of us a tall glass of fresh peach juice with broccoli and red lettuce.

Other than that, it was kind of a leftover day.  We finished off the birthday food: bloomin' onion bread, fish, and salad for Lunch and ate the rest of the Puttanesca with bread for Dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment