Friday, August 3, 2012

Day 3 ~ 30 Days of Nothing Challenge

Day 3 


Breakfast
More blueberry French toast and coffee. To my disappointment, I caught Patrick making himself an egg to go with his french toast.  We don't have very many and a month is a looooong time.

Lunch
Leftover Mexican Pizza and salad. Delicious. The plan from now on will be to make enough dinner food to eat for lunch the next day.  Wish me luck with that.  Today was difficult because I worked from home.  My normal routine for home work includes sitting at my computer, munchies, and trashy tv for background noise.  It was difficult to stay away from the fridge.  Normally, I just mindlessly eat everything I can find.  Change is hard.


Dinner
Squash boats and Lemon Basil Rice. Its not summer without squash boats!

I can't take credit for the crazy cute idea (but I will go ahead and take credit for making that pirate flag).  Patrick saw the idea online last year & we make our own filling based on what's in the fridge.  The squashes and green pepper were given to us last week by John & Evelyn: two friends of Patrick's Parents that grow a garden big enough to qualify as a small farm.  Here's how I made them tonight:

Ingredients (makes 4 servings):
2 squashes
1 small onion
1 small green pepper
1/4 cup ricotta cheese
1 tsp. Italian seasoning
a dash of garlic powder
1 tbs. milled flax seed (or bread crumbs)
olive oil

Directions:
Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees.
Slice the ends off the squash and cut in half.  Then carve out the center.
Coat the squash boats with olive oil and bake for twenty minutes.
Dice the onion pepper and remaining squash.  Saute in olive oil until browned.
Mix sauteed veggies with ricotta cheese, garlic powder and Italian seasoning.
Scoop mixture into squash boats and sprinkle with flax seed or bread crumbs.
Bake for another ten minutes and serve.

The lemon basil rice is just regular brown rice with a diced carrot, minced basil leaves from the garden, and a teaspoon of lemon juice tossed into the rice cooker.  before serving, I sprinkled on salt & pepper.  Everything was yummy & I'm looking forward to eating the leftovers for lunch tomorrow :)

No comments:

Post a Comment